THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE DEPARTMENT
Use English to impact, effect and affect.
For School. For Society. For Life.
- To groom competent and empathetic users of the English Language; and
- To nurture creative inquirers and reflective learners.
We aim to
- THINK – develop reflective learners who read and listen discerningly and reflect deeply
- CARE – cultivate empathetic writers through the exposure and appreciation of good models of English texts
- LEAD – encourage students to articulate thoughtful views that reflect moral reasoning as well as concern for the human condition
THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE SYLLABUS (ELS 2020)
Our Swiss English Language Programmes
- We recognise and believe that Reading is a vital skill to enhance the EL competency of our learners and thus must be encouraged at all levels as an important input of knowledge, information and exposure to good EL materials.
- At the Lower Secondary, we focus on building a strong foundation in grammar and vocabulary, as well as developing the confidence in articulating their ideas in the English Language in a variety of contexts.
- At the Upper Secondary, we focus on applying critical thinking to students’ reading and writing, by deep appreciation of the way texts are constructed for specific purpose, audience, context and culture to achieve the necessary effect.
- Main Curriculum
- Strict adherence to the English Language Syllabus 2020 with in-house language materials that catered to differentiate learning and students’ needs
- The use of rich texts in the curriculum to help students appreciate language as it is – in all its complexity and glory.
- Core Enrichment (managed by the Dept)
- Sec 1- Choral Reading
- Sec 2- Presentation Skills
- Sec 3- Public Speaking
- Talent Development
- Students who have a flair for writing are surfaced for participation in National and/or International level writing competitions such as the Creative Arts Programme, Unity Writing Competition, the International Competitions and Assessment for Schools certifications by the University of New South Wales and more.
- Academic Support Programme
- This is a programme that caters to the learning needs of the students English Language (EL) that is managed with approaches that are differentiated in instruction and student centred. As the use of English is an important life skill in the globalized world we live in, enhancing their confidence and mastery in the subject is of vital importance to the EL team. All EL teachers are on hand for consultation by appointment to support or to stretch.
|English Language Team|
|Mdm Lim Wee Teng June||HOD English Language|
|Miss Tan Annie||Year Head (Lower Secondary)|
|Mr Wong Wai Kiong Terence||HOD Technology for Learning|
|Mr Tan Jeng, Gordon||Subject Head / English Language|
|Mrs Constance Wong||Lead Teacher / English Language|
|Ms Herina Bte Roslin||Senior Teacher / English Teacher|
|Ms Kek Huiyu||Year Head / English Language|
|Mdm Ong Yuan Shin||English Language|
|Miss Tan Mee Han||English Language|
|Mr Syed Segaff Bin Syed Khaled Alsree||English Language|
|Ms Serene Lee Ching Lien||English Language|
|Ms Faith Wang Yi Shan||English Language and Geography|
|Ms Tan Yan Lin, Hazel||English Language and Literature|
|Mr Vellasamy Rasandran||Adjunct / English|
|Mdm Tong Wooi Cheen Esther||Adjunct / English|