Swiss Thoughtful Leaders:
- Students who are effective and empathetic communicators of the English Language
- Teachers who are nurturing and lead by example as empathetic communicators of the English Language
- Groom competent and empathetic users of the English Language; and
- Nurture creative and critical thinkers.
Through a robust English Language and Literature programme, we aim to
- THINK – develop critical thinkers who read and listen discerningly and reflect deeply
- CARE – cultivate empathetic writers through the exposure and appreciation of good models of English texts
- LEAD – encourage students to articulate thoughtful views that reflect moral reasoning as well as concern for the human condition
Our English Language Programme
The SWISS EL programme takes on a multi-pronged approach to EL learning. This involves encouraging curiosity in the way the language is presented and used through rich texts in print and non-print resources at every step of their language learning. We enrich their learning experiences with We-Comm/ We-Think Programmes to build their confidence when discussing about the social issues that they care about. Additionally, we explore various platforms to challenge and stretch our learners. At the end of the EL programme, students would be able to communicate effectively in English by listening and reading critically, as well as speaking and writing purposefully.
- The EL Curriculum
- The use of rich texts in the curriculum to help students appreciate language as it is – in all its complexity and glory.
- The infusion of the Reading Programme into the main curriculum as a whole school approach to strengthen language skills. ‘Windows to the World’ is a weekly reading period which encourages students to be exposed to a range of texts for analysis, comment and pleasure, for the appreciation of the different genres.
- At the Lower Secondary, we focus on building a strong foundation in grammar and vocabulary, as well as developing the confidence in articulating their ideas in the English Language in a variety of contexts.
- At the Upper Secondary, we focus on applying critical thinking to students’ reading and writing, by deep appreciation of the way texts are constructed for specific purpose, audience, context and culture to achieve the necessary effect.
- Core Enrichment : WE-Comms/WE-Think Programme
- It comprises a series of developmental core workshops spanning the first Semester. All students undergo these programmes and they are assessed on their competencies in the confidence and clarity in using good English to express themselves.
- Sec 1- LangLit Drama and Language Appreciation
- Sec 2- Debate and Presentation Skills
- Sec 3- Public Speaking and Speeches
- Talent Development
- Students who are strong in oral communications are encouraged to audition for opportunities to be groomed into emcees for various school functions and for outreach.
- Students who have a flair for writing are surfaced for participation in National and/or International level writing competitions such as the Creative Arts Programme, Unity Writing Competition, the International Competitions and Assessment for Schools certifications by the University of New South Wales and more.
|English & Literature|
|Mdm Lim Wee Teng June||HOD English Language|
|Miss Tan Annie||Year Head|
|Mdm Mini Sathiya||HOD Total Curriculum & English Literature|
|Mrs Constance Wong||Lead Teacher|
|Mr Wong Wai Kiong Terence||HOD Technology for Learning|
|Miss Vicki Yong Min Hui||SH English Language & Glocal Perspectives|
|Miss Herina Bte Roslin||Senior Teacher|
|Ms Kek Huiyu|
|Mdm Ong Yuan Shin|
|Mdm Jayati Deb|
|Mrs Ng-Foo Li May|
|Ms Kasturi D/O Manoselvam|
|Miss Tan Mee Han|
|Mr Syed Segaff Bin Syed Khaled Alsree|
|Mr Tan Zi Jie|
|Mr Tirmidzi Bin Khalid|